Marketo is a marketing automation solution that empowers customer engagement through digital marketing.
# API version
The Marketo connector uses Marketo REST API.
# Create custom service for Workato
Marketo exposes REST endpoints which allows integration platforms (like Workato) to remotely retrieve and execute core capabilities. It is recommended to create a specific custom service client for Workato.
There are a few reasons for this.
- All operations will be logged under a custom service dedicated for integration and workflow processes. This improves usage and error tracking by isolating issues specific to each integration platform.
- This allows you to customize permissions and security profile, without having it tied to a specific employee user.
The custom service should have all the permissions needed to perform the required actions for your integration scenario. When building recipes, you may encounter a 403 error, it means that the ISU does not have sufficient permission for the action.
# How to create custom service on Marketo
|1. Create API role||Navigate to Admin > Users & roles > select the Roles tab > New user.|
Select Access API under permissions and click Create.
Create role in Marketo
|2. Create API user||Navigate to Admin > Users & roles > select the Users tab > New role.|
Select the API role that you just created and finish the user setup.
Create user in Marketo
|3. Create custom service |
|Navigate to Admin > Launchpoint > New > New service.|
Select the API-only user that you just created and click Create.
New custom service
|4. Retrieve client credentials||Select View details for the new custom service.|
View custom service
This will show you the client ID and Client secret required for authentication on Workato.
For more information about creating custom services, see the Marketo documentation.
# How to connect to Marketo on Workato
Marketo connection setup
|Connection name||Give this connection a unique name that identifies which Marketo instance it is connected to.|
|REST Endpoint||The base URL of your Marketo instance. Find out how to retrieve your base URL here.|
|Custom service client ID||The ID for this custom service client.|
|Custom service client secret||The password for this custom service client.|
# Marketo triggers and actions
You can browse the other chapters:
# Marketo triggers
# Marketo lead actions
- Create lead action
- Search leads action
- Update lead action
- Upsert leads action (batch)
- Add leads to list action
- Bulk import leads from file action
- Bulk export leads to file action
- Bulk export activities to file action
- Change lead program status action
- Get lead activities action
# Other Marketo actions
- Search campaigns action
- Trigger campaign action
- Get program by name action
- Get channel by name action